Rachael Taylor and her Make it in Design colleagues set a global pattern challenge this Summer; to (digitally) patternbomb landmarks around the world, filling the globe with patterns.
It involved Photoshop.
Photoshop and I are not friends, despite many tutorials and demonstrations. So I couldn't see that this challenge was going to be my cup of tea. But there was a tutorial alongside the challenge, and somehow, for the first time (where many have failed before) the process appeared to make sense. And once I had started, there was no stopping (I highly recommend you try this - it's bizarrely addictive).
Along the way, some Make It In Design school students said they'd be interested to see the pattern on its own, or indeed the photograph before the pattern was applied, so I thought I'd put together a few images showing all the component parts. I'm certainly curious about a lot of the wonderful patternbombs that other students were creating.
It was a really fun project for the Summer holidays, during which I had so little time to sit down and focus on "serious" projects. I've learned a lot about how to use Photoshop better, and had lots of ideas about how to present patterns in fun way in the future.
The Make It In Design team were gracious enough to award me an "honorary mention" for my efforts during the patternbombing challenge! So look out for a feature on their website some time soon. In the meantime, here's the breakdown.